Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Week 49 - Industry Review Cleanup Part 2


For this milestone I looked at cleaning and documenting the Regradable VFX that aligned with a Character Technical Artist. I decided to focus mainly on the VFX that targeted Eli, our main character, directly in one post. This would mainly focus on the:

  • Eye shader
  • Glitch damage VFX
  • Sludge VFX

Eye Shader

Example of Eli's emotion changing with the animations

Debug version of how Eli's eyes work, it uses a face texture that moves up and down to dictate which emotion to display


Rendering for Artstation thumbnail, it ended up taking a Fortnite aesthetic, rendered in Marmoset Toolbag


Glitch Shader

This and the Eye Shader were the two largest shaders I worked on. This one was specifically meant to be used in instances of our character being damaged, and it overlays 5 different visual systems overtop of one another, including noise, glitch lines, chromatic aberration, pixelization, and a hue, saturation, & brightness adjustment.


These systems can be mixed-and-matched or used all together in specific material instances as the designers see fit.




Poison Overlay Shader

This shader was a late addition and basically is used to show some effect is being put on Eli as he walks through the sludge in the levels. Its relatively simple, however it uses a special trick for the gradient so that regardless of the world position Eli is at, the gradient always maintains it's percentage without relying on uvs.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 50 - Industry Review Cleanup Part 3

 For this week I mainly worked on finalizing the renders for my player VFX post and creating several of the video features for it. I decided...